Capacity Building Grants
Up to $40,000
Capacity Building grants help an organization increase its sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance structures. This is a two-step process. We strongly encourage you to contact us for a phone consultation before you apply. Contact Cindy Hales, Director of Community Investment, email@example.com or 989-560-4786.
Step one - The grant application seeks to identify the specific problem(s) you need to solve in your organization, not a plan of action. We are looking for a clear understanding of the capacity issue(s) that create challenges within the management systems or governance structure of your organization.
Step two - Meet with Community Foundation staff to co-design a detailed plan of action to address your capacity issue.
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT TIMELINE
December 7, 2020: The grant application will be available on our website.
February 1, 2021: Grant application deadline
February: Applications are vetted by the Capacity Building Committee
March and April: The Community Foundation capacity-building team collaborates with applicants to co-create a plan of action.
2021 CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT CRITERIA
- For capacity building efforts that increase a nonprofit’s sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance.
- Eligible organizations must have at least one paid staff and an annual operating budget of at least $100,000.
- Applicants must agree to work in partnership with Community Foundation staff to create a plan of action.
Examples of Capacity Building issues include:
- Board development
- Fundraising planning
- Governance structures
- Executive Leadership development
- Long-range planning
- Staff training and development
- Succession planning
The Community Foundation works with a network of consultants to provide capacity building support. The following have been previously vetted; however, new consultants are periodically added to the list.
- Non-Profit Network
- Michigan Nonprofit Association Tech Services
- John Cauley - Cauley Coaching and Consulting
- Erin Skene-Pratt - Momentum Associates
- Cathy Adcock - Adcock CFO Solutions
- Carol Pence - Pence Consulting
- Rebecca Bahar-Cook - Capitol Fundraising Associates
CAPACITY BUILDING GRANT FORMS (will be updated soon)
- Capacity Building online grant application
- SAMPLE Capacity Building Grant Application (for review only, do not submit)
- Request for Payment form (Fillable PDF)
- Evaluation Form 2019 (Fillable PDF)
- Evaluation Form 2020 (Fillable PDF)
Instructions for using a Fillable PDF:
1. Open the template and SAVE IT before you begin filling in the form.
2. Complete the form, SAVE IT again with your answers.
3. Submit by email HERE.