Capacity Building Grants
Up to $40,000
Capacity Building grants help an organization increase its sustainability and effectiveness by strengthening management systems and governance structures. This is a two-step process. We strongly encourage you to contact us for a phone consultation before you apply. Contact Cindy Hales, Director of Community Investment, email@example.com or 989-272-3672.
Step one - The first step is an application. The application seeks to identify the specific problem(s) you need to solve in your organization. We are looking for a clear understanding of the capacity issue(s) that create challenges within the management systems or governance structure of your organization.
Step two - Step two involves meeting with Community Foundation staff to co-design a detailed plan of action to address your capacity issue.
- Request must focus on increasing organizational sustainability or effectiveness by strengthening management systems or governance structures.
- Applicants must have at least one paid staff and an annual operating budget of at least $100,000.
- Applicants must agree to work with Community Foundation staff to co-design a plan of action.
Examples of Capacity Building issues include:
- Board development
- Fundraising planning
- Governance structures
- Leadership development
- Long-range planning
- Staff training and development
- Succession planning
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Training
Capacity Grant Timeline (CLOSED FOR 2021)
The grant application period is December 10, 2021 - February 1, 2021. Applications will be reviewed in late February by the Capacity Building Committee. Organizations selected for funding will work collaboratively with Community Foundation staff to co-create a plan of action during March and April, 2021.